[Dcmlib] [Fwd: GDCM eventually replacing DICOMImageIO2]

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Fri Nov 19 22:45:04 CET 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: GDCM eventually replacing DICOMImageIO2
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:21:16 -0500
From: Lorensen, William E (Research) <>

Folks,
Today, we discussed the notion of replacing DICOMImageIO2 with the GDCM
dicom reader/writer. We would like to do this before the next release. The
rationale is that GDCM is under active development.

Currently, there are some incompatabilities with DICOMImageIO2.

For one, the GDCMSeriesFilenames does not seem to handle mutiple series in a
directory.This is a common occurrence. The API of DICOMSeriesFilenames to
handle this is easy to use.

Also, in DICOMSeriesFileNames, the sorting of the files can be ascending or
descending. This may or not be a useful feature.

Comments?

Bill