[Dcmlib] Signed Images

Jean-Pierre Roux jpr at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Tue Jun 14 17:29:48 CEST 2005

Aris Basic wrote:

> is gdcm doing any conversion on pixel data from signed
> (pixelrepresentation == 1) images ?
> pixelrepresentation == 0 images i can display nicely but
> representation 1 they come up strange :(

gdcm doesn't make any transformation for 'signed pixels'.
It's up to the user to deal with the sign.
How do you display the image?
Did you try with vtkgdcmViever? (of course, you need VTK ...)

In our test data set ( gdcmData), there are a few 'signed pixels' images :

MR-MONO2-16-head.dcm
CT-MONO2-16-chest.dcm
CT-MONO2-16-ankle.dcm
CT-MONO2-16-ort.dcm
CT-MONO2-16-brain.dcm
GE_RHAPSODE-16-MONO2-JPEG-Fragments.dcm
GE_GENESIS-16-MONO2-Uncompressed-UnusualVR.dcm
GE_GENESIS-16-MONO2-WrongLengthItem.dcm
PICKER-16-MONO2-No_DicomV3_Preamble.dcm
012345.002.050.dcm

Did you try to display them?
HTH.

Jean-Pierre

> jsut trying to find a bug :) not pointing fingers

Thx for reporting it.
Could you send us one of your images, so we can check 'at home' if there
is any problem.