[Dcmlib] Signed Images

Aris Basic aris.basic at silencesoftware.com
Tue Jun 14 18:07:03 CEST 2005

applying it to the image in fastes possible way :)
and correspodning formula is why i went towards OpenGL (should allowe me
to use GPU to do it)
dont get how VTK adn some other libraries do it very fast withouth GPU :(

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> For the window/level is is pretty easy:
>
> double range[2];
> my_function(range, image);
> // range now contains the pixel value min and pixel value max.
>
> level = (range[1]+range[0] )/2
> window = range[1]-range[0]
>
> In theory there is a window/level tag in DICOM but I don't trust them :P
>
> HTH
> Mathieu
>
> On Jun 14, 2005, at 11:38 AM, Aris Basic wrote:
>
>> I have some of my images havnot tested it with gdcm provided images
>> will probably do it and compare with vtkgdcmViewer.
>> IM trying to display them with OpenGL (creating and RECT texture from
>> pixel data [ opengl supposedly shoudl be able to
>> deal with signed pixel data , but doesnt look like its doing )
>> (i tryed too figgure out how is VTK donig the W/L transfomration and
>> rest but did not have luck finding that piece of code quickly :)
>>

>> Jean-Pierre Roux wrote:

>>> gdcm doesn't make any transformation for 'signed pixels'.
>>> It's up to the user to deal with the sign.
>>> How do you display the image?
>>> Did you try with vtkgdcmViever? (of course, you need VTK ...)
>>>
>>> In our test data set ( gdcmData), there are a few 'signed pixels'
>>> images :
>>>
>>> MR-MONO2-16-head.dcm CT-MONO2-16-chest.dcm
>>> CT-MONO2-16-ankle.dcm  CT-MONO2-16-ort.dcm
>>> CT-MONO2-16-brain.dcm
>>> GE_RHAPSODE-16-MONO2-JPEG-Fragments.dcm
>>> GE_GENESIS-16-MONO2-Uncompressed-UnusualVR.dcm
>>> GE_GENESIS-16-MONO2-WrongLengthItem.dcm
>>> PICKER-16-MONO2-No_DicomV3_Preamble.dcm