[Dcmlib] PixelPaddingValue

Aris Basic aris.basic at silencesoftware.com
Wed Jun 15 14:51:25 CEST 2005

Dono i just think it would be probably easier for gdcm lib to do the
chanegs like pixelpadding and conversion from signed to unsigned pixel
data this is what i ment with std (Notes):

C.7.5.1.1.2 Pixel Padding Value
Pixel Padding Value (0028,0120) is used to pad non-rectangular images to
rectangular format.
The native format of some images is not rectangular. It is common for
devices with this format to
pad the images to the rectangular format required by the DICOM Standard
with a specific pixel
value that is not contained in the native image. This attribute
specifies the value of this padding
value.
Notes: 1. When the relationship between pixel value and X-Ray Intensity
is unknown, it is
recommended that the following values be used to pad with black:
0 if Photometric Interpretation (0028,0004) is MONOCHROME2.
2BitsStored - 1 if Photometric Interpretation (0028,0004) is MONOCHROME1.
2. When the relationship between pixel value and X-Ray Intensity is
known (for example as
defined by Pixel Intensity Relationship (0028,1040) and Pixel Intensity
relationship Sign
(0028,1041)), it is recommended that a value equivalent to air be used.

btw when newer gdcm give out message that pixeldata has to bin downshift
what actualy happens ?
(was looking at gdcm code but i all i've seen is the printing of the
Warn message).
(i noticed that with JPEG Lossless compresed 12bit images (packed in 16)
i personaly have to multiply each pixel value with 256 (16*16)
and for LEI images its enoigh to multiply it by 16 (in order to adjust
its 12bit range value in 16bit space)
(at least that gives me results (on display) comparable to other dicom
viewer [efilm,...] ))

Aris