[Dcmlib] Re: Private Dicom Dict.

Jean-Pierre ROUX jean-pierre.roux at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Thu Sep 1 13:04:16 CEST 2005

At 13:25 -0400 31/08/05, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>Creatis CVS User wrote:
>>CVSROOT:	/cvs/public
>>Module name:	gdcm
>>Changes by:	jpr	05/08/31 18:32:37
>>
>>Modified files:
>>	.              : TODO
>>Log message:
>>Comments: It shouldn't be too difficult to 'manualy' ask memory merging
>>of a Private Dict into the public one (I can do it soon).
>
>Before you do so, can you explain your approach ?

I was thinking on something very simple :

User that *absolutely* wants to use one of the Private Dicom
Dictionaries you supplied in gdcm/Dicts uses a method like :
AddDictionnary( privateDictionnaryName);
or, if he wants to use a private dictionary of his own :
AddDictionnary( fullPathPrivateDictionnaryName);

(He can use both, if he knows more about the private fields than you
did when you extracted the private dictionaries from pdf documents).

Method AddDictionnary() just merges (in memory) the contents of the
private dictionary into the public one (same effect when user merged
public and private dictionary source files)

Plus a method like
RemoveDictionary(dictionayName);

Till, say a fortnight ago, some users *had* to add some entries in
the Public Dict, to be able to parse some files, containing oddities
like :

- Implicit VR Private entries within an Explicit Transfer Syntax
image (solved a long time ago)
- Endianness switching inside the SQItems (solved a few months ago)
- 'True length' SQItems within 'No length' Sequences, or 'No length'
SQItems within 'True length' Sequences (solved a few weeks ago)
- Implicit VR Private 'No length' Sequences (solved a few days ago,
using Peter' s images)

Since this last (and final ?) oddity solving gdcm user doesn't have
to modify the Dicom Dictionary (Implicit VR private 'True length'
Sequences  are just skipped, being considered as a hudge single
entry, Implicit VR private 'No length' Sequences are parsed correctly)

--> The only case using or not Private Dictionary now makes a
difference, is for some Implicit VR entries, that can switch from
BinEntry to ValEntry.
To get the value, user will have to modify his code !

(Probabely, we shall have to remove stupid difference between
BinEntry and ValEntry -on disc, every entry is binary. The difference
is in the time consuming extra processing we do on what we decided to
be a ValEntry ...)

Any comment ?
JP

>Thanks