[Dcmlib] GetPatSliceOrient(gdcm::File &h)

Jean-Pierre Roux jpr at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Sep 30 19:16:47 CEST 2005

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I still have not time for GDCM, but just came across some other
> code to figure out pat orientation:
> #if 0
> //
> // this is all completely cribbed from the xmedcon library, since
> // we're trying to do what it does, mostly.
> patient_slice_orientation_type
> GetPatSliceOrient(gdcm::File &h)
>
> http://www.psychiatry.uiowa.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/src/iplFilter/image/gdcmIPLfilter/gdcmIPLfilter.cxx?cvsroot=brains2

I had a look a Xmedcon's code a few years ago.
I gave it up, since they use :
Patient Orientation (0020,0020),  (Optional Tag for MR, CT,, etc)
and the suppose the only values for cosines inside "Image Orientation
(Patient)" (0020,0037) are -1, 0, +1 !

Have a look  at :
http://www.dclunie.com/medical-image-faq/html/part2.html#DICOMOrientation

It *computes* the "Patient Orientation" from "Image Orientation
(Patient)" ...

gdcm uses David Clunie's code in the method :
std::string Orientation::GetOrientation ( File *f )

JPRx