[Dcmlib] dicom flip

Luca Picello luca.picello at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 14:27:29 CEST 2006

Hi , i have a big trouble and loosing a lot of sleeping time in attempts
to resolve it :

I have a dicom serie of a head :

Patient Position is :  L\P

Patient Position is : HFS

Image Orientation Patient is   1,0,0   0,1,0

IMAGE POSITION PATIENT for FIRST      SLICE IS :     0 , 0 , 0

                                          for SECOND SLICE IS :     0,
 0 , 1

                                          for THIRD SLICE IS     :
     0,  0 , 2

                                          for 4' SLICE IS
:      0,  0 , 3

                                          and so on according with slice
spacing.( 1 mm)

1-

   The z axis is increasing toward the head of the patient so *I assume
the orientation cosines for z should be : 0,0,1*

   *Am I right ?*

   *Considering Image orientation patient (1,0,0  0,1,0);  the axes
direction cosines became: 1,0,0 ,0,1,0, 0,0,1*

   *Am I right?*

2-

    in a different serie *IF* I obtain a z value decreasing  toward the
head I should assume the orientation cosines for z ( 0,0,-1) ?

    Am I right?

3-

Regarding case 1: even if all seems right with axes orientation cosines
I discover a strange behaviour after loading the dicom serie ( I
verified with the real patient left and right sides) :

*The left part of the patient became the right part. Why?*

I must flip the dataset along an axe ( flipX for example )  to obstain
the correct L  and R side according to the real patient

I'm using gdcm....

Thanks a lot for suggestions