[Dcmlib] Trouble with 'Shadow Dictionaries'

Jean-Pierre Roux Jean-Pierre.Roux at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Mon Jan 30 12:35:53 CET 2006

Hi !

Some Shadow Dictionnaries seem to be automatically taken into account ...
that results in something strange :

PrintFile on a Siemens image shows :

D 0011|0010 [LO]                     [Private Creator Identification
(GEMS_PATI_01) ] [SPI RELEASE 1 ]
D 0011|0011 [LO]
[gdcm::Unknown] [SIEMENS CM VA0  CMS ]
D 0011|1110 [  ]
[gdcm::Unknown] [19970530]
D 0011|1111 [  ]
[gdcm::Unknown] [081719.000000 ]
D 0011|1123 [  ]
[gdcm::Unknown] [97]

Of course, we don't care about shadow elements !
But some stupid DICOM readers (eg. the MatLab one) cannot process images
including groups partially 'ExplicitVR' and partially 'ImplicitVR'...

Many 'ExplicitVR' images have their Shadow group homogeneous
'ImplicitVR', and they are 'MatLab readable'.
When we re-write them (Anonymize, for instance), Shadow Group are no
longer homogeneous, and MatLab reader fails.

Any suggestion?
(one easy to implement would be to allow user to ask not to take in
account Shadow Dictionnary ?)

Thx
JP