[Dcmlib] Pixel Representation =1

Jean-Pierre Roux jpr at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Mon Nov 13 14:21:14 CET 2006

zhou13 at netscape.net wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Does GDCM correctly handle the Pixel Representation tag? When the
> Pixel Representation value is 1, the stored value in DICOM is two's
> complement ( 16 bit signed short ).  I have been using VTK's DICOM
> reader but it can't handle this situation.

I  didn't know VTK's DICOM reader had this kind of trouble.
GDCM deals correctly with pixel representation.
GDCM comes with a vtkGdcmReader() , with the same API than vtk's DICOM
Reader.

> So i am investigating ITK's DICOM reader which is based on GDCM.  I
> have some studies from a GE ProSpeed CT which actually set the Pixel
> Representation tag to 1.

If you download gdcm, just use
vtkgdcmViewer2 yourDicomFileName
to be sure it works.
You can have a look at the dicom header using :
PrintFile filein=yourDicomFileName

HTH

Jean-Pierre Roux
from gdcm team.