[Dcmlib] Looking for feedback on GDCM 2

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:08:50 CET 2008

Hi there,

  I am looking for developers feedback on GDCM2. I have been working a
lot on cleaning up the API, and GDCM2 *really* looks like a mature
project now. Since it will be used very soon in production, I would
like to make sure the API is clean enough to avoid the constant
backward compatibilties breakage in GDCM1.

  http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/html/

  You can download the lastest and greatest at (it will create a gdcm2
directory for you with all the source code)

 svn co https://gdcm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gdcm/trunk gdcm2

See:

  http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=137895

The main platform for development has been Linux x86/AMD 64, I beg the
win32 user to be a little tolerant on compilers issues that will
surely arise.

GDCM2 is totally incompatible with GDCM1, and I have no current plan
on making it any smoother for people upgrading, sorry. GDCM2 is
currently very tightly integrated with VTK CVS (technically it will be
best to wait for VTK 5.2). the reader/writer are now using
vtkMedicalImageProperties which allow reading from DICOM and writing
back to DICOM (from any kind of source), the produced file will be as
close to a DICOM file as one can get (Object type is guessed from the
Modality).

Thanks for your time,