[Rtk-users] ADMMTVReconstruction

Cyril Mory cyril.mory at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Mon Dec 15 10:07:45 CET 2014

Hello Howard,

Good to hear that you're using RTK :)
I'll try to answer all your questions, and give you some advice:
- In general, you can expect some improvement over rtkfdk, but not a
huge one
- You can find the calculations in my PhD thesis
https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00985728 (in English. Only the
introduction is in French)
- Adjusting the parameters is, in itself, a research topic (sorry !).
Alpha controls the amount of regularization and only that (the higher,
the more regularization). Beta, theoretically, should only change the
convergence speed, provided you do an infinite number of iterations (I
know it doesn't help, sorry again !). In practice, beta is ubiquitous
and appears everywhere in the calculations, therefore it is hard to
predict what effect an increase/decrease of beta will give on the
images. I would keep it as is, and play on alpha
- 3 iterations is way too little. I typically used 30 iterations. Using
the CUDA forward and back projectors helped a lot maintain the
computation time manageable
- The quality of the results depends a lot on the nature of the image
you are trying to reconstruct. In a nutshell, the algorithm assumes that
the image you are reconstructing has a certain form of regularity, and
discards the potential solutions that do not have it. This assumption
partly compensates for the lack of data. ADMM TV assumes that the image
you are reconstructing is piecewise constant, i.e. has large uniform
areas separated by sharp borders. If your image is a phantom, it should
give good results. If it is a real patient, you should probably change
to another algorithm that assumes another form of regularity in the
images (try rtkadmmwavelets)
- You can find out whether you typical images can benefit from TV
regularization by reconstructing from all projections with rtkfdk, then
applying rtktotalvariationdenoising on the reconstructed volume (try 50
iterations and adjust the gamma parameter: high gamma means high
regularization). If this denoising implies an unacceptable loss of
quality, stay away from TV for these images, and try wavelets

I hope this helps

Looking forward to reading you again,
Cyril

--