[Rtk-users] "Invalid device function" when using cuda applications in RTK

Andy Shieh hsieandy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 16:22:47 CEST 2014

Hi Simon & RTK developers/users,

I'm trying to get the cuda applications in RTK to work on my NVIDIA GTX770
(with Win 8.1 x64, compiled using Visual Studio 2012).
I have installed the latest cuda toolkit (v6.0), and has confirmed that it
worked properly using the samples in the cuda toolkit as well as MATLAB.
I have also successfully compiled RTK with cuda found.
However, when I tried to execute cuda applications such as
rtkbackprojections, rtkfdk, rtksart, I kept getting the following runtime
errors:

For rtkbackprojections:
======================
ExceptionObject caught with bp->Update()

itk::ExceptionObject (000000698148F5E8)
Location: "unknown"
File: D:/SourceCode/RTK_Andy/code/rtkCudaBackProjectionImageFilter.cu
Line: 251
======================

For rtkfdk:
======================
ExceptionObject caught with writer->Update()

itk::ExceptionObject (0000004AF047E8E0)
Location: "unknown"
File: D:/SourceCode/RTK_Andy/code/rtkCudaFFTRampImageFilter.cu
Line: 139
======================

For rtksart:
======================
ExceptionObject caught with sart->Update()

itk::ExceptionObject (00000086AE63F050)
Location: "unknown"
File: D:/SourceCode/RTK_Andy/code/rtkCudaForwardProjectionImageFilter.cu
Line: 251

These errors were all caught by "CUDA_CHECK_ERROR".
Do you know what might be the problem here?
I also tried these with a down-sampled projection sets with only 10
projections, so it seems that this is not a memory shortage issue.

It is also worth mentioning that everything works properly on another
computer with a NVIDIA Quadro 4000.

Any clue would be of great help. Thanks!

Cheers,
Andy