[Rtk-users] Fwd: some bugs in SART when running Reconstruction of Elekta Data

Cyril Mory cyril.mory at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Thu Nov 20 15:02:02 CET 2014

Hi Guangming,

I have just tested your command line and obtained some result, although
it is indeed disappointing. SART generates strong artifacts on the
borders of the image because some rays intersect only a few voxels on
the borders and make the convergence very unstable. These artifacts are
intense, so they mess up with the automatic choice of the window and
level of the viewer.

My advice :
- Use "VV, the 4D slicer" to open your data (you should not see much at
the beginning), and in the top right viewing pane, click in the center
and hit the 'w' key. It will look at the pixels around the one you
clicked, and adjust the window / level accordingly. Then you should see
the reconstruction and the artifacts at the borders. Any other viewer
with this "local windowing" option should do fine.
- If you want to reconstruct a full volume, not just one slice, you can
use SART : the artefacts on the borders should be much less intense once
your whole object is in the reconstructed volume
- If you want to reconstruct a single slice, or a few slices, use
"rtkconjugategradient" instead. It does essentially the same as SART,
but has a way steadier (although a bit slower) convergence. You can run
it with the same options as SART, so all you have to do is replace
"rtksart" by "rtkconjugategradient" in your command line examples (in
particular, it runs fine on CUDA)

Do not hesitate to ask if you happen to have more questions.
Regards,

Cyril

--
--