[Rtk-users] Helical cone-beam reconstruction with RTK

Simon Rit simon.rit at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Feb 27 10:42:38 CET 2015

Hi,
We haven't worked on helical (CB)CT and I haven't heard of anyone working
on it. Others answers are correct:
- it's easy to simulate helical CBCT by playing with the geometry
<http://www.openrtk.org/Doxygen/classrtk_1_1ThreeDCircularProjectionGeometry.html>.
I guess compared to a circular geometry where only source-to-detector and
source-to-isocenter distances matter, you'll have to adjust the
SourceOffsetY and the ProjectionOffsetY. That should work for shepp logan
type of simulations and forward projections of 3D images.
- iterative reconstruction should work since we don't have any prior on the
geometry except we use the displaced detector for weighting the central
area when required. You probably want to do something similar in the
direction of the axis of rotation to have smooth transitions between
projections but it's theoretically not mandatory (we found the result is
better in practice).
- there is no analytical reconstruction available.
Good luck and don't hesitate to contribute if you do some tests.
Simon