[Rtk-users] rtkadmmwavelets ring artifact

Cyril Mory cyril.mory at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Tue Mar 24 15:27:16 CET 2015

Hi Joel,

I've added the displaced detector filters where necessary, and on my
data, the ring artifact has now disappeared. Just pushed the fix.
Would you be so kind to try the new version on your data and let us know
whether it fixed the problem ?

Regarding your question on using the full-data FDK as initialization of
an iterative reconstruction: if you have basic notions of linear
algebra, I encourage you to read section V.6 of
https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00985728/document
And if you are doing 4D CBCT, I very strongly encourage you to try
rtkfourdrooster

In short, it says that, in the absence of regularization:
- the information embedded in a given projection ends up in the Fourier
transform of the reconstructed volume
- the Fourier coefficients affected are almost specific to each projection
- therefore not taking a projection into account in the iterative
process means not modifying the corresponding Fourier coefficients of
the reconstructed volume during the iterative reconstruction
- if you initialize with a zero-filled volume, that means the Fourier
information corresponding to the projections you drop is assumed to be
zero, and will remain so
- if you initialize with anything else, the Fourier information
corresponding to the projections you drop will remain whatever it was in
the input you gave

Regularization can make the correct Fourier coeffs "spread out" to the
others, therefore the "dropped information" can be partially compensated
by (very strong) regularization. In my experience, for cardiac 4D CBCT
and pulmonary 4D CBCT, 3D wavelets regularization isn't enough to
compensate for the loss of 80% or 90% of the data. Adding the
regularization along time help a great deal (which is why I mentioned
rtkfourdrooster).
So the question is: do you want data from the projections you dropped to
end up in your reconstructed volume ?

Sorry for the long answer, despite the "in short" preamble.

Regards,
Cyril