[Rtk-users] Projection Geometry and Image Origins

Simon Rit simon.rit at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Aug 18 08:53:07 CEST 2017

Dear Samuel,
Here is how I'd explain it: there are two ITK images, a volume and a
stack of projections. Each image has its own coordinate system,
defined in ITK by the Origin, the Spacing and the Direction. The
geometry links the volume coordinate system to each projection
coordinate system (which is common for all projections) of the stack
using 9 parameters per projection.
In order to center the volume on the projections, you have different
scenarios. Let's take one example:
- the volume is centered around (0,0,0) (e.g.,
origin=(-127,-127,-127), spacing=(2,2,2) and size=(128,128,128)),
- the projection is centered around (0,0) (e.g., same values as for
the volume. Note that the third coordinate is ignored by RTK).
- then the projection is centered on the volume if all offsets are 0.
If the projection had not been centered (e.g., origin=(0,0,0)), then
you can create exactly the same geometry by setting
ProjectionOffsetX=ProjectionOffsetY=127.
I hope this helps,
Simon