[Rtk-users] Lateral blur in a FDK reconstructed volume

Vincent Libertiaux vl at xris.eu
Fri Apr 15 17:15:03 CEST 2022

Hello rtk users !

I am facing a problem for which I have exhausted all the possibilities
except asking you.
I have performed a standard FDK reconstruction of a lego bricks
assembly.  I used a custom-made code to compute the detector horizontal
offset and tilt angle, found to be 1.15 mm and 0.02° respectively.  The
result of the reconstruction is shown in the picture
https://ibb.co/LdMzJF2 .  The volume looks mostly sharp, except on the
lateral edges, let's say on the last half brick.

We had the opportunity to have the same volume reconstructed with two
commercial solutions.  The first one, "A", produced the same results
than rtk.  The second, "B", produced the result shown in the picture
https://ibb.co/VwXMmRH

In this case, the edges are sharp too.  The offset values found with
this software were very close (1.13mm and 0.025° respectively) and
feeding them to rtksimulatedgeometry didn't change my result.  No other
correction was allegedly applied.

I thought that the edge blurring was due to a wobbling artefact but it
can't be the case according to the result with the "B" software.

Do you have any idea on what could cause this blurring on the edges ?

I thank you very much for any clue.

Best regards,

Vincent