[Dcmlib] Re: gdcm::IsReadable()

Jean-Pierre Roux jpr at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Jul 1 13:48:25 CEST 2005

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

[...]

>> But some mandatory Tags (such as Pixel Representation, Sample Per
>> Pixels, Hight Bit, etc) are missing.
>> Now gdcmFile::IsReadable() doesn't say 'false' is *only one* is missing.
>> (The further heuristics try to manage with them).
>

> Just a quick note, it looks to me that now IsReadable() can return
> true as long as -let say- b0028_0103 is true, are you sure this is
> enough ?

I do agree with you : the stuff looks strange, but it works :
A DICOMDIR, a Dicom RT, a Dicom SR (or a .zip, .exe, or whatever you
want) will be flagged as 'non gdcm::File readable'.
A rotten header ACR-NEMA will be flagged as gdcm::File readable, since
he has at least *one* of the few mandatory tags we check.
(they all have a reasonable default value, in our heuristics)

gdcm::File::IsReadable() is just an information on whether or not it's
worthy to try to read it.
JPEG-LS are flagged as gdcm::File readable, even if actually there
aren't (till now).
So would be a  buggly compressed file...
The only accurate way of check if a file *is* readable is to read it.
gdcm::File::IsReadable() == false just tells us : don't even try !

JP

>> And there is no more DicomWorks compatible image that hang gdcm.
>> ;-)
>

> GDCM ROCKS DA WORLD !
>
> Mathieu
> Ps: Does this means there are still some DicomWorks *non*-compatible
> that hang gdcm ?

Some  e-film hanger ( + DicomWorks hanger) DICOMDIR -comming from
Philips ViewForum station- cause gdcm inifinite loop.
(Marlene cannot read the CD under Benoit's CreaTools)

I'm trying to locate the pb, and solve it.