[Dcmlib] Loading twice the same File

Benoit Regrain benoit.regrain at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Jul 8 09:46:33 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mathieu Malaterre" <mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com>
To: "Benoit Regrain" <benoit.regrain at creatis.insa-lyon.fr>
Cc: "Jean-Pierre Roux" <Jean-Pierre.Roux at creatis.insa-lyon.fr>;
<dcmlib at creatis.univ-lyon1.fr>
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Dcmlib] Loading twice the same File

>> I don't agree with the use of the Modified flag.
>> It's used in VTK because we have a pipeline... but in gdcm, we can't have
>> this
>> mechanism (it has been discussed in an older mail).
>

> what ? ref/link please ...
I send the concerned mail in attachment

>> Moreover, if the user change it's file with an other soft and would
>> reread its
>> file with gdcm (without closing this application), the file isn't re
>> read.
>> I think that's bad !
>
> I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about ?
>
> App 1:
>
> open foo.dcm with gdcm
> write over foo.dcm
>
> the reader has it's own Modified bool
>

> App 2:
>
> open foo.dcm
> -> Modified is set to false... reading happen

User launch 2 applications :
 1 - DicomWorks (doesn't use gdcm)
 2 - CreaTools (uses gdcm)

The user reads its images with CreaTools.
He has problems with these images because the slice location isn't
referenced.
So, he uses DicomWorks to add this field in the Dicom files (because at this
time, CreaTools doesn't have its own editor).
After written the modified images, he get its favorite viewer (CreaTools)
and
would reload files... but they aren't loaded because the file read hasn't
been
modified.

That's a more precise example introducing the problem when having the
modified flag...

Benoit