[Dcmlib] Re: Troubles again on jpeg2000

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Mon Jul 11 19:06:51 CEST 2005

Since I don't have enough hours in the day...

For whoever is interesed in decompressing DICOM image encoded with
*irreversible* transfer function, you have to unappkly this patch:

http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/gdcm/src/gdcmjasper/src/libjasper/jpc/jpc_fix.h?rev=1.3&sortby=date&view=log

This patch will allow one to see properly (well almost) images like
CT_Phillips_JPEG2K_Decompr_Problem.dcm

I cannot get enough attention on jasper ML, even people from dcmtk are
banging there head on this problem. jasper simply does not handle 16bits
image in the irrersible case (well at least this one).

A much better library look like kakadu. I would suggest for real serious
people to use this library instead. Here is how:

Uncomment the #if 0 in gdcmJpeg2000.cxx so that when reading a DICOM
image it will create a temp file containing only the jpeg2000 stream.
Then use kakadu to extract the image:

$ kdu_expand /tmp/jpeg2000.jpc /tmp/output.bmp

I know this is a pain, but I cannot garantee anything otherwise.

Mathieu
Ps: CT_Phillips_JPEG2K_Decompr_Problem.dcm contains indeed a jpeg2000
stream compressed using kakadu 2.2 !