[Dcmlib] [Fwd: Re: [Insight-developers] GDCM IO and metadata copying]

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Tue Nov 9 20:59:14 CET 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Insight-developers] GDCM IO and metadata copying
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:00:20 +0100
From: Peter Cech <pcech at vision.ee.ethz.ch>
To: Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com>
<418FC408.4050605 at kitware.com>

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 14:07:52 -0500, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Peter,
>
> 	Which gdcm version are you using. It seems I cannot read this image
> using gdcm 0.6 (cf. PrintFile).

CVS version checked out one week ago. Version string says 0.6.0. I
cannot read the image data either (BE/LE mismatch causes gdcm to seek
past the end of file).

> It looks like this is a NTSCAN Intera Philips MR
>
> 	Looking at 2001|e05f ( private tag) the length is coded in
> 	BigEndian, but everything else is in Little Endian.
>
> Could you confirm ?

Yes, the file contains both LE and BE parts. I tried to fix this in gdcm
early this year, but then I found that ITK DICOM reader has no problems
reading such files and switched to ITK. I'm just looking into what I
tried then. Basically I switched endianess whenever one of tags
feff|00e0 (already endian swapped) or fffe|e00d (end of swapped tags)
occurred. I'll try to fix gdcm this way and see wheter it helps.

Regards,
Peter