[Dcmlib] Unreadable dicom file from Peter Cech

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Tue Aug 23 16:38:22 CEST 2005

Jean-Pierre Roux wrote:
> Hi !
>
> The trouble starts because the 'private' tag 2001-105f (and some more )
> are 'Sequence' , but the Transfert Syntax is 'Implicit VR', and till
> now, gdcm has no way to guess it.
> (The 'Shadow Dictionary' supplied by Philips is not usable :-(

Ok this is PHILIPS-Intera.dic.
JP can you have a look at it, and just tell me what I should generate
for entry like:

2001 00xx LO 1 Private Creator Group 2001

and

2001 xx01 FL 1 Chemical Shift

I will add the cmake rule to generate appropriate rule (+option to
generate shadow dicts).

> I just commited a patch to bypass the problem.
> (vtkgdcmViewer displays the image, that's no so bad ;-)
> Don't try to *write* the image, because the header is not straight, and
> the result wouldn't be kosher...

what is the basic problem ?

> I'm working for a clean solution, but that's not so easy.
>
> --> Peter,
> if you add the following lines :
>
> 2001 105f SQ 1 Sequence
> 2005 1083 SQ 1 Sequence
> 2005 1402 SQ 1 Sequence

ouch ! Only the first one can be found in PHILIPS-Intera.dic

> in Dicts/dicomV3.dic,
> your images will be gdcm-readable/gdcm-writable.

Thanks JP, you rocks ! I could not fix the bug myself :(