[Dcmlib] GDCM for MPEG !

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Thu Aug 24 15:26:39 CEST 2006

Louis Selvon - IT Professional wrote:
> Hello
>

> I am new to GDCM and would like to see if I can use the tool to
> encapsulate MPEG as Dicom streams, and then view the MPEG dicom streams
> using CDGM.
>

> I have tried K-PACS to bundle them after converting them MPEG to JPEG
> but large studies that creates over 15000 JPEG  images gives problems.
>

> So looks like using the MPEG itself to Dicom, and a viewer that can
> allow viewing of the Dicom MPEG may be the way to go.
>

> I am having trouble to install GDCM on Windows. The install instructions
> appears for Linux systems. What are the instructions for Windows ?
>

> Does the current version allows me to do this ?

Hi Louis,

	First of all, let's be honest GDCM does not handle out of the bog
encapsulated MPEG. I tried it as a proof of concept, that's all. In fact
the work to be done to handle those is quite difficult. The only MPEg
library that is BSD-compatible -that I found- is a C lib which work with
FILE* (duh!), the real problem is that GDCM manipulate istream. So there
will be a transition to do right here already. I think -I don't
remember- but the MPEG lib expect the mpeg stream to start at offset 0,
which is not the case for DICOM-MPEG file.
	All boils down to how much time you have to develop, and how much C/C++
skill you have.

	As a side note, GDCM and CMake are cross plateform tool, so the
compilation on GNU/Linux should be very similar to the step for
compilation on Win32.

HTH