[Dcmlib] Multi-frames DICOM reading in vtkGDCMReader consumes too much of memory.

Dennis hudr at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 12 01:35:47 CET 2006

Hello,

I have tried to read multi-frames DICOM file by using vtkGDCMReader.
I found vtkGDCMReader will allocate one huge block memory to load image
PixelData from file and another block of memory of the
same size for destination(for flipping in y-direction). This approach will
cause the peak memory size is very high
because it will allocate two huge block memory during executing.

For examples, if the imageData File's size is 170M,  the peak memory size
will hit 340M.

Is there any possible to read just one slice pixelData from file instead of
reading all?
So we can do data streaming to avoid the high peak memory size.

Bests,

Dennis