[Dcmlib] dicom image orientation

Greg Book gbook at gbook.org
Wed Jan 18 00:24:41 CET 2006

I have some questions about the image orientation of dicom images. The
part I'm having the most trouble with is the direction cosines and how
it affects the encoding from the HFS, HFP, etc.
According to the dicom documentation, the patient orientation determines
how the data is encoded: positive X direction points to the patient's
outstretched left arm, positive Y points from antierior to posterior
direction, and positive Z points from feet to head. Do the cosines
change this encoding?
For example, if the patient is head-first supine, then axial slices are
acquired, and if the slices are not rotated... How do the directions
change? Is X still pointing to the patient's left arm?
Now... if the slice box were rotated around the patient's feet/head
direction by 180º, how would that change the cosines?

My ultimate goal is to have a 3D cube on my image viewer that shows how
the current view relates to the patient's R/L, A/P, and H/F sides.
I'm not sure if knowing the orientation description (Heart Coronal, etc)
will be helpful. I'm interested in how the cosines can be transformed
into a cube with the 6 patient directions on it.

-Greg Book