[Dcmlib] Image Orientation adjustment problem

Jean-Pierre Roux Jean-Pierre.Roux at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Tue Jan 17 17:14:34 CET 2006

jiafucang wrote:

> Hello, everyone,
>
> I am using GDCM as a perfect tool to do image conversion. But I
> encounter a problem on image orientation. In the current image
> orientation solver, there are six orientations including both head and
> heart. I scanned a head DTI image which has 30 degree rotation from
> axial plane. And GDCM adjust the image as "Heart Coronal" orientation.
> If there is a way to compare the orientation only in head or heart, as
> what the image is, probably this problem do not occur. But this seems
> also a hard problem only considering the DICOM header.

Actually, the method gdcm::Orientation::GetOrientationTypeString() is a
contribution from a gdcm user (theralys.com).
We added it in the library, just in case it could help anybody.
But, of course, if you get images of, say, a knee, any of the
GetOrientationTypeString() answer will sound stupid ...

I added, too, a method from David Clunnie : std::string
Orientation::GetOrientation ( File *f ), that returns a string as
"rowsOrientation\columnsOrientation"
 * \brief Computes the Patient Orientation relative to the image plane
 *          from the 'Image Orientation (Patient)'
 *          - The first entry is the direction of the rows, given by the
 *          direction of the last pixel in the first row from the first
 *          pixel in that row.
 *          - The second entry is the direction of the columns, given by
 *          the direction of the last pixel in the first column from the
 *          first pixel in that column.
 *          Anatomical direction is designated by the capital
 *          letters: A (anterior), P (posterior), R (right),L (left),
 *          H (head), F (foot).
 *          - Refinements in the orientation descriptions are designated
 *          by one or two additional letters in each value.

> Any good suggestions?

I'm affraid we don't have yet any clear (and definitive) suggestion ...
:-(
Jean-Pierre Roux