[Dcmlib] DICOM Programming

Jochen Roth roth at new-light.de
Fri Oct 27 17:48:39 CEST 2006

Hi again,

well actually there is no reason for beeing impressed!

Writing this short c function took me about 4 hours. I spend most of that time
typing the tag descriptions.
I think you must have misunderstood what I said. Otherwise you can't be
impressed.

Let me explain what I did.
I took a sample DICOM brain file from
http://www.wolfram.com/products/webmathematica/resources/dicom.html

I simply parse that file and print out the header information on the console.
This is the way the output looks like:
Modality                       : MR
Manufacturer                   : Philips Medical Systems
Institution Name               : PMS
Referring Physican's Name      :
Station Name                   : MMOTM9
Study Description              : brain
Series Description             : Brain      T2W/GRA/512$
Manufacturer's Model Name      : Gyroscan NT Intera
Referenced Image Sequence      : \uffff\uffff
Patient's Name                 : brain
Patient ID                     : brain

And that's all. This simple program helps me to understand the content of the
file. It is only working for implicit VR in little endian format.
I leave the pixel data untouched right now and stop parsing at this position.

But anyway as I'm talking to experts right now, maybe one of you can give me a
hint regarding the following question:

Is for each gradient direction one dataset available in DWI?
One dataset with 512x512 voxels per plane and 6 different gradient directions
would then need approximately 3MB space.
Sorry for this stupid questions, but I haven't received a sample dataset with
DWI data yet. Otherwise I would already have a look at myself.
Can you give me a hint on how to convert DWI data to tensordata? Or do
I have to
convert it to NRRD- format first?

Thanks for your help.
I'll have a look at the GDCM toolkit over weekend.

cheers

Jochen