[Dcmlib] [Critical] Lossless JPEG in GDCM

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 19:16:03 CEST 2007

Hi,

  For those of you (hopefully very few) who were using the JPEG
writing mode in GDCM, please be aware that it was not a lossless mode.
I am taking the blame as I did not carefully double check the output.

   A great thanks to JPR who track it down and send me a very simple
way to reproduce the problem, I was able to fix it. Basically the IJG
lossless allows you to do a near lossless mode. That exactly what
happen, thus the images you compressed in lossless mode were all off
+/- 1 from the original value. Technically this should not affect too
much radiologists decision, but this is still a very serious issue.

  I cannot commit the fix right now, but JPR should hopefully fix the
issue in GDCM CVS. This fix will be applied to the GDCM 1.2 branch as
I consider as a critical issue.

Thanks for your attention, sorry for the troubles.