[Dcmlib] [Gdcm2] Still having difficulty with build...

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 17:08:37 CET 2008

Hi David,

  Thanks for the logs. I'll try to give my opinion on each issues, see
my comments interlaced.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 5:03 PM, David M. Witten II <wittend at wwrinc.com> wrote:
> I'm still having difficulty getting a clean build using VS 2003 with
>  fresh checkouts from SVN for gdcm2 (and fresh checkout from VTK) as of
>  last night (now() - 12h).
>
>  Most of the errors seem to be of the form:
>
>  Compiling...
>  gdcmTesting.cxx
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2.0.0\Source\Common\gdcmTesting.cxx(21) : fatal error
>  C1083: Cannot open include file: 'gdcmDataFileNames.cxx': No such file
>  or directory
>  gdcmCommon - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

My mistake, this was fixed a couple of minutes ago. You choose not to
build the testing suite of GDCM, thus the file were not generated but
used in the main dll of gdcm. That was a bug, but fixed a couple of
minutes ago.

>  I am attaching a build log - not completely fresh, but representative.
>  The errors relating to wxGDCM are irrelevant - I just whacked my
>  wxWidgets installation.  It is the other errors that are causing
>  persistent problems.
>
>  I'd appreciate suggestions if you have time.
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Dave Witten
>

>  ------ Rebuild All started: Project: vtkgdcm, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
>
>  Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'vtkgdcm', configuration 'Release|Win32'.
>  Building Custom Rule C:/Work/DICOM/gdcm2/Utilities/VTK/CMakeLists.txt
>  -- Configuring done
>  -- Generating done
>  -- Build files have been written to: C:/Work/DICOM/gdcm2/gdcmBinary
>  Compiling...
>  vtkgdcmInstantiator.cxx
>  vtkGDCMImageWriter.cxx
>  C:\Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Source\DataDictionary\gdcmTagToType.h(30) : warning C4800: 'int' : forcing value to bool 'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
>         C:\Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Source\DataDictionary\gdcmTagToType.h(33) : see reference to class template instantiation 'gdcm::TagToType<group,element>' being compiled
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\VTK\vtkGDCMImageWriter.cxx(655) : warning C4288: nonstandard extension used : 'i' : loop control variable declared in the for-loop is used outside the for-loop scope; it conflicts with the declaration in the outer scope
>         \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\VTK\vtkGDCMImageWriter.cxx(651) : definition of 'i' used
>         \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\VTK\vtkGDCMImageWriter.cxx(576) : definition of 'i' ignored
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\VTK\vtkGDCMImageWriter.cxx(665) : warning C4288: nonstandard extension used : 'i' : loop control variable declared in the for-loop is used outside the for-loop scope; it conflicts with the declaration in the outer scope
>         \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\VTK\vtkGDCMImageWriter.cxx(651) : definition of 'i' used
>         \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\VTK\vtkGDCMImageWriter.cxx(576) : definition of 'i' ignored
>  vtkGDCMThreadedImageReader.cxx
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\VTK\vtkGDCMThreadedImageReader.cxx(35) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pthread.h': No such file or directory
>  vtkGDCMImageReader.cxx
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\VTK\vtkGDCMImageReader.cxx(563) : warning C4800: 'int' : forcing value to bool 'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
>  Generating Code...
>  Build log was saved at "file://c:\Work\DICOM\gdcm2\gdcmBinary\Utilities\VTK\vtkgdcm.dir\Release\BuildLog.htm"
>  vtkgdcm - 1 error(s), 4 warning(s)

You have something going on very wrong with your svn (subversion
client). Please type 'svn st' or svn status to get the status of those
files. I suspect you have :
1. either conflicting file
2. you only updated from within subdirs instead of the main /trunk

In all case a complete new fresh checkout would get rid of thoses issues.

>  ------ Rebuild All started: Project: wxGDCM, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
>
>  Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'wxGDCM', configuration 'Release|Win32'.
>  Building Custom Rule C:/Work/DICOM/gdcm2/Utilities/wxWidgets/CMakeLists.txt
>  -- Configuring done
>  -- Generating done
>  -- Build files have been written to: C:/Work/DICOM/gdcm2/gdcmBinary
>  Compiling...
>  wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.cxx
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.cxx(643) : warning C4800: 'int' : forcing value to bool 'true' or 'false' (performance warning)
>  wxGDCMFrameBase.cpp
>  wxGDCMFrame.cpp
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.cpp(22) : error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'vtkGDCMImageReader *' to 'vtkGDCMReader *'
>         Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.cpp(23) : error C2065: 'GDCM_DATA_ROOT' : undeclared identifier
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.cpp(30) : error C2027: use of undefined type 'vtkGDCMReader'
>         c:\Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.h(6) : see declaration of 'vtkGDCMReader'
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.cpp(30) : error C2227: left of '->Delete' must point to class/struct/union
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.cpp(58) : error C2027: use of undefined type 'vtkGDCMReader'
>         c:\Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.h(6) : see declaration of 'vtkGDCMReader'
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.cpp(58) : error C2227: left of '->SetFileName' must point to class/struct/union
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.cpp(60) : error C2027: use of undefined type 'vtkGDCMReader'
>         c:\Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.h(6) : see declaration of 'vtkGDCMReader'
>  \Work\DICOM\gdcm2\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCMFrame.cpp(60) : error C2227: left of '->GetOutputPort' must point to class/struct/union
>  main.cpp
>  Generating Code...

Same comment as above.

>  Build log was saved at "file://c:\Work\DICOM\gdcm2\gdcmBinary\Utilities\wxWidgets\wxGDCM.dir\Release\BuildLog.htm"
>  wxGDCM - 8 error(s), 1 warning(s)

>  ------ Rebuild All started: Project: vtkgdcmPython, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
>
>  Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'vtkgdcmPython', configuration 'Release|Win32'.
>  Python Wrapping - generating vtkgdcmPythonInit.cxx
>  Building Custom Rule C:/Work/DICOM/gdcm2/Utilities/VTK/CMakeLists.txt
>  -- Configuring done
>  -- Generating done
>  -- Build files have been written to: C:/Work/DICOM/gdcm2/gdcmBinary
>  Compiling...
>  vtkgdcmPythonInit.cxx
>  Linking...
>  LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'vtkgdcm.lib'
>
>  Build log was saved at "file://c:\Work\DICOM\gdcm2\gdcmBinary\Utilities\VTK\vtkgdcmPython.dir\Release\BuildLog.htm"
>  vtkgdcmPython - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

This is a non issue. But results from the previous error.

>  ------ Skipped Rebuild All: Project: INSTALL, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
>
>  Project configuration skipped because it is not selected in this solution configuration
>

>  ------ Skipped Rebuild All: Project: PACKAGE, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
>
>  Project configuration skipped because it is not selected in this solution configuration

Thanks again for your time and patience,