[Dcmlib] GDCM DICOMDIR

Oleg oleg at imp.uni-erlangen.de
Mon May 26 12:28:55 CEST 2008

          Hello!

       I'm trying to use GDCM (have a latest stable version 1.3.2) to
parse DICOMDIR files. PrintDicomDir (example application) did a good job
for me, but after a while I've got a CD with a DICOMDIR that was not
parsed correctly (if heplful, I can send this file, although it is 4Mb
large). The problem is in the following.
The file contains data for two series of one study of one patient. The
number of images in each series is 434, and each of two series records
is followed by a set of 434 records for the
corresponding images. BUT,  the sequence of  'offset of the next
directory record', i.e. (0004,1400) values, doesn't form an ascendant
sequence (although each offset correctly points to the next image in a
series).
And GDCM seems to sort them ascendantly when loading, but it incorrectly
detects the affiliation of the images with the series after
this sorted sequence 'jumps' from the first series to the second and
then back. Here is the illustration:
The DICOMDIR has the following set of records:

[Patient] [Study]
[Series 1]
1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - ... 436
[Series 2]
4 - 6 - 437 - 438 - 439 - ... 868

Each number (conditionally) represents the value 'offset of the next
directory record' in an image record. When reading the records in the
order dictated by the
offsets, one gets the above sequence exactly.
But the output of the PrintDicomDir looks as follows:

[Patient] [Study]
[Series 1]
1 - 2 - 3
[Series 2]
4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - ... 436 - 437 - 438 - 439 - ... 868

I'd be glad to hear any comments on how to deal with the problem.

Sincerely,
       Oleg.