[Rtk-users] sart back projection, weighting steps

Cyril Mory cyril.mory at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Tue Feb 24 10:55:00 CET 2015

Hi Robert,

I'm glad to know that most of the explanation text is understandable :)
You might want to check this filter:
http://www.openrtk.org/Doxygen/classrtk_1_1NormalizedJosephBackProjectionImageFilter.html
You can use the command line application "rtkbackprojections" with
argument --bp to compare "Joseph" and "NormalizedJoseph".

When performing a back projection with non-normalized Joseph, the
projection values are "splat" (splat is the adjoint operator of
interpolation) between the four nearest voxels in each volume plane the
ray intersects. Nothing guarantees that every voxel will receive a
contribution during this process. How many contributions a voxel
receives is determined by the sampling of the projections, which can be
much looser or much denser (locally and globally) than what would be
required. Dividing by the back projection of an image of ones mitigates
this effect. In theory, as long as the forward and back projection
operators are the adjoint of one another, it should not be a problem for
SART. In practice, it does make a difference.

I hope it helps. Please let me know if it is still unclear;

Cyril