[Rtk-users] 3D mesh points projection onto the DRR image plane

Suranga W isurusuranga.wijesinghe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 08:27:26 CEST 2023

Hi,

I have segmented the liver from a 3D-CT volume and created a volumetric
mesh. I have successfully generated DRRs by using RTK tool kit. The code is
attached below. Now what I want is that I need to project each and every 3D
coordinates of the volumetric mesh on this DRR image plane. This means that
 finding the corresponding 2D projection coordinate (i.e. x, y positions)
of each vertex coordinate on the DRR image projection plane.

How can I obtain the (x, y) coordinate values in the DRR image plane for a
given 3D coordinate position? For example, I have (x,y,z) positions for
each vertex and I want to convert into (x,y) i.e. 2D projection coordinates
on the DRR image plane? Can you please elaborate with an example ?

I have python code to project the 3D-mesh coordinates  on DRR images based
on ITK SiddonJacobsRayTracing algorithm. However, I want to implement this
code similar to the RTK based DRR projections. I have attached this ITK
based DRR generation code and the point projection code which is compatible
to this ITK-based DRR code for your further reference.  Moreover, I have
attached sample DRR image with projected points overlaid on it that is
based on ITK-based code.

*Additional note:* The reason because I have chosen RTK since it is more
convenient than ITK based ray-tracing algorithm when generating DRRs so
that I’m able to generate DRRs to match the exact field of view of real kV
planar x-ray images.

Thanks,

Surang