[Dcmlib] 2D -> 3D

Jean-Pierre ROUX jean-pierre.roux at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Sun Jul 17 05:56:52 CEST 2005

At 22:53 +0200 16/07/05, Olivier Stern wrote:
>All right ;-) Hope my english is understable ^^
>

>I would like to know if it exits a class which transform a slices
>serie to a 3D volume (if it is possible) and if there's no class,
>how to do it. This question has certainly been asked but I couldn't
>find any post in this sense in the archive.

Actually, there is no real '3D' in Dicom.
Volumes are either a of of slices (one slice in each image file), or
a 'multiframe' file (all the planes in a single file).
If you have to deal with a set of slices, you must 'concatenate' the
pixels of each one.
This is done 'out of gdcm'.

>In the same idea, how do we visualize a volume ? with vtk ?

gdcm comes with a vtkGdcmReader (derived class of vtkImageReader )
that can read a set of files 'ala VTK')
After that, all the VTK abilities are wide open for you.

>I can't understand how we can see the inside of the volume.

It depends on what it contains.
Since you're working on MRI brain images, you'll have to perform some
thresholding, segmentation, etc, before.
See VTK doc.

HTH

--> Scusi, Luca. Non sabbiavo que non capivi il Francese.
(io, non parlo italiano ;-)
JP

> Thanks,
>            Olivier