[Dcmlib] Image conversion

Jean-Pierre Roux jpr at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Aug 19 14:14:19 CEST 2005

olivier.stern at swing.be wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have a little trouble converting images. I got DICOM images with 16
> bits allocated, 12 bits stored and 11 as high bit. I'd like to change
> them to 8 bits allocated, 8 bits stored and 7 as high bit.
>

> What I've done first was taking the highest value of pixels on one
> image and the lowest, and made a conversion to value between 0 and 255
> (thanks to Jean-Perre Roux). But this conversion wasn't the same from
> one image to another because the highest value and the lowest change.

You have first to retrieve the maximum maximorum and the minimum
minimorum for the whole serie, and use those *two* values to rescale
*all* the images.

> What I need is a constant conversion so what I 've done is: as the
> highest theoric value that a file with 12 bits stored can take is 4095

Probabely, the actual maximum pixel value is much less than 4095 (that's
the highest possible value on 12 bits, not the max value held in the images)
Jean-Pierre.