[Dcmlib] Tested machine and file reading capabilities

Jean-Pierre ROUX jean-pierre.roux at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Wed Jun 15 08:17:24 CEST 2005

At 19:17 +0200 14/06/05, Luca Picello wrote:
>Hello everybody,
>I wonder if there is a list of CT machines tested with gdcm (ie:
>philips model submodel blabla, siemens model submodel revision).

Hi, Luca

We never listed up all the machines (constructor, model, software
version, ...) gdcm works with.
Actually, it wouldn't make a lot of sense : *all* the images are
'gdcm readable'.
(except, for the moment, JPEG2000 -Mathieu is working hard on it-;
it's not a constructor related pb, but a 'transfert syntax' pb)
I mean : gdcm analyses the 'header', gets all the 'dicom elements',
and the user may ask to bring the pixels in memory.

It works whatever the processor endianess is, whatever the 'pixel
size', the pixel sign, the planar configuration, the photometric
interpretation, the samples per pixel, the transfert syntax.

(when a bug is reported, we fix it within a few days : e.g. gdcm
1.1.0 didn't work for LUT with 2^16 entries, because we never had
data to check the code before. Current cvs gdcm version deals with
them)

>I wonder also if in my c++ program, where I already use the vtkGdcmReader,
> I need to call regular gdcm namespace or is there a simpler way to
>get some files information like patient name...

To access a single information, like 'Patient name', or 'Institution
adress', or
'Exposure Time', or 'Slice Thickness', or anything else, you have to
know it's 'Group number' and 'Element number'.
Just run 'PrintFile filein=yourFileName' to know what your current
file actually contents.

HTH

Jean-Pierre Roux

>Thank you very much,