[Rtk-users] Acceleration of rtkCudaBackProjectionImageFilter

Simon Rit simon.rit at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Sep 9 14:20:32 CEST 2022

Dear Laura,
Interesting, this option is mainly here for improving the memory
management. All it does is split your input stack in subsets to do the
reconstruction, thus only loading a few projections in the CPU and GPU
memory. This is not implemented in the backprojection because we usually
keep the projections in memory during iterative reconstruction.
It could be implemented in C++ but I maybe you could not try do it in
Python too: instead of calling backprojection once, split your input
projection stack and geometries in pieces and call backprojection several
times (except maybe for some memory transfers which cannot be avoided).
Such a subselection is done here (in c++):
https://github.com/SimonRit/RTK/blob/master/applications/rtksubselect/rtksubselect.cxx
You can open an issue if you feel it's worth implementing the option in the
backprojection, it should be doable but is not straightforward.
Cheers,
Simon